(1819–1911), Dean of St Paul's. He came from a Nottingham Methodist family. Influenced by the Tractarian Movement, he studied at Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and was ordained priest in the C of E in 1844. He was vicar of St Mary-the-Less, Lambeth, from 1853 to 1873, interesting himself esp. in elementary education. In 1868 he was appointed Canon of St Paul's, where he collaborated with H. P. Liddon and R. W. Church in making the cathedral a centre of active religious life in London. The introduction of more elaborate ritual and decorations led to considerable hostility against him, esp. after he had been appointed Dean in 1890. He was succeeded as Dean by W. R. Inge.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.