An extensive series of later Neolithic flint mines on the Breckland of East Anglia in eastern England. Surveys and limited excavations since the late 19th century have revealed more than 350 shafts over an area in excess of 7 ha. The high‐quality flint available at the site lies in three bands—topstone, wall‐stone, and floorstone—but it was only the deeper floorstone that seems to have interested the miners and they excavated shafts up to 12 m down into the chalk to get it. Use of the site spanned at least 1000 years and it is suggested that at any one time there might have been just a few shafts in operation.
R. Mercer, 1981, Grimes Graves, Norfolk: excavations 1971–72, volume 1. London: Department of the Environment