ground roll

'ground roll' can also refer to...


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Earth Sciences and Geography


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A surface wave, typically a Rayleigh wave, which propagates along the surface of the ground with a characteristically low frequency and low velocity, but with a relatively high amplitude. Such waves degrade the quality of the seismic record by masking reflections from the subsurface. In a marine environment, the same type of phenomenon is called ‘mud roll’.

Subjects: Earth Sciences and Geography.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.