(b Castelli, 7 March, 1686; d Castelli, 1746). Italian potter. He came from an illustrious family of maiolica potters and painters from Castelli in Abruzzo. In 1716 he arrived in Naples, where he concentrated on the production of ceramics; he decorated plates, albarelli and shields in the style of wares from his home town. His considerable output influenced contemporary Neapolitan production. Among his most notable works is the series of albarelli for the apothecaries of the sanctuary of the S Casa in Loreto and of the monastery of S Martino in Naples. Wares were often Baroque in style and included shields decorated with mythological themes, and plates decorated with landscapes or putti in the centre and tendril or festoon borders. Wares were also often signed and dated. In 1736 he returned to Castelli, where he continued to work until his death.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.