(1753–98). Polish Neo-Classicist, he prepared designs for the monumental Wilno (now Vilnius) Cathedral (1777–1801), with a huge Roman Doric portico and long side colonnades: it was as impressive an exercise in Neo-Classical clarity as anywhere else in Europe. For the same city he designed a Town Hall with a vast Tuscan column as its tower (1785–6), and the Bishop's Palace (also 1780s). His was a strong influence on the architecture of Vilnius and its region until well into C19.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.