(fl c. 1415–60). South Netherlandish illuminator. He is named after his work in two manuscripts signed by the scribe Guillebert de Metz. He painted the frontispiece in one, a collection containing Guillebert's description of the city of Paris, dated 1434, and works by Christine de Pisan and others (Brussels, Bib. Royale Albert 1er, MS. 9559–64). The other codex is a copy of Laurent de Premierfait's French translation of Boccaccio's Decameron (Paris, Bib. Arsenal, MS. 5070), in which Guillebert names his place of residence as Grammont (Flem. Geerardsbergen) in East Flanders. The majority of the 100 miniatures in this book were produced by the Master of Mansel, but the Master of Guillebert de Metz illuminated the beginning of the codex, including such miniatures as Richard and Catelle (Paris, Bib. Arsenal, MS. 5070, fol. 116). Guillebert de Metz is also mentioned as living in Grammont in an account of 1432 relating to two books for Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. In a third manuscript (The Hague, Kon. Bib., MS. 133. A. 2) Guillebert describes himself as ‘libraire de M. le duc Jean de Bourgogne’. According to this, he was already in the service of the Burgundian dukes before the death of John the Fearless in 1419.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.