to gull

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Of the pin of a block, to wear away the sheave, round which the rope of a tackle revolves. When the sheave begins to wobble in the block because of wear by the pin, it is called gulling. Similarly, when the yards of a square-rigged ship rub against the mast, they are said to gull the mast.

Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.