(b ?Strasbourg, c. 1410; d Saarbrücken, before 1485). German painter. He is recorded in 1438 as a master and in 1444 as a member of the guild of painters and goldsmiths in Strasbourg. In 1447, together with Hans Tieffental (fl 1391–1448), he undertook to paint and gild a stone crucifix (untraced) in Metz. Probably directly after this he entered the service of Count Johann III of Nassau-Saarbrücken (d 1472) as court painter and moved to Saarbrücken. In 1453 he concluded a contract for an extensive series of murals (destr.) showing scenes from the Lives of SS Ursula and Barbara (among others) for a newly built chapel in the church of the Carmelite convent in Metz. No further record of his work is known until his death.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.