Founded 1955 as Handel Opera Society by Charles Farncombe, at suggestion of E. J. Dent, to revive interest in Handel's operas. First prod. was Deidamia, 1955, at St Pancras Town Hall. Moved in 1959 to Sadler's Wells Th. Revived over 20 Handel works, many for the first time since Handel's lifetime. Name changed to Handel Opera 1980. Singers who appeared with the company incl. Richard Lewis, Geraint Evans, James Bowman, Janet Baker, Joan Sutherland, and Anna Reynolds. Ceased 1985.