(b Burghausen, c. 1355–60; d Landshut, 10 Aug 1432). German architect. He was the most important architect of the German-speaking area in the late 14th century and the early 15th, and the founder of the tradition of Late Gothic hall churches in south Germany that lasted over a century and a half. Documentary sources are scarce: the earliest possible reference is in 1389, when ‘Master Hans’ is mentioned as master builder of the church of St Martin at Landshut, in a context indicating that he had already held this office for several years. On the assumption that he was then a mature man, he was probably trained in the builders’ lodge of the large town church of St Jakob, Burghausen, which was built from 1360. Some features of his main work, St Martin at Landshut, suggest that he must have been familiar with the stylistic repertory of the cathedral lodge in Prague under Peter Parler (see Parler, (3)), and that he may have known the Backsteingotik (brick) architecture of Lower Silesia and the north-east German coast. Although it should not be deduced from this that Hans spent time in all these areas during his travelling years, his works presuppose knowledge of international architecture of the highest standard. In their elegance, grace and abundance of light, his churches are unequalled.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.