(fl 1475–96). German sculptor. He is documented as active in Frankfurt am Main, Höchst am Main and Aschaffenburg. His seal shows a crossed hammer and chisel with the inscription hans bilhawer [sculptor] worms. Five sculptured altarpieces can be ascribed to him on documentary evidence (Frankfurt am Main, the Weissfrauenkirche, 1475–6, and the Bernhardskapelle, 1476–9; Kirchgarten, near Worms, Abbey Church, 1476; the high altar of the Justinuskirche, Höchst am Main, 1486; and the high altar of the monastery church of Aschaffenburg, 1489–96). Although none of these altars has survived, busts of four Fathers of the Church in Frankfurt (Frankfurt am Main, Liebieghaus), which are ascribed to Hans von Worms, may come from the Aschaffenburg altar, which was dismantled in 1770. Four half-figures are recorded from the predella, and the busts were described in 1606 by the painter Georg Rudolf Henneberger, who had been commissioned to renovate and remodel the altar.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.