German architect, a pupil of Theodor Fischer. He became Secretary of Der Ring, and an early participant in CIAM. He designed Modernist buildings for Berlin-Zehlendorf (1926–7) and Berlin-Siemensstadt (1929–31). Later, he gradually evolved theories concerning Organic architecture, which in his terms seems to have meant fitness for purpose and an abandonment of preconceived aesthetic ideas or forms, although some of his works had a flavour of Expressionism. Among his works were the complex of farm-buildings, Gut Garkau, near Lübeck (1923–5), the Tobacco Goods Factory, Neustadt, Holstein (1925), the Behrendt House, Berlin (1930), the von Prittwitz Building, Tutzing (1937–41), the Kunst und Werk School, Berlin (1942), and the Schmitz House, Biberach (1949–50).
Blundell Jones (1999, 2001, 2002);J. Joedicke & Lauterbach (eds.) (1964);Kremer (1995);Morgan & Naylor (1987);Schirren et al. (2001);van Vynckt (ed.) (1993)