German military engineer. He was employed by King Henry VIII of England (1509–47) to design part of the new coastal defences, including Sandgate, Deal, and Walmer Castles in Kent, all remarkably coherent geometrical examples of C16 military architecture. He carried out surveys at Calais (completed 1540), and was in charge of the works at St Mawes Castle, Cornwall. He also fortified Carlisle against the Scots before returning to Central Europe, where he worked for the Bishop of Olmütz (now Olomouc).
J. Harvey (1987)
Subjects: Architecture — Renaissance Art.