(1833–94). Austrian architect, he was involved with the building of Semper's Museums of Art and Natural History in Vienna (1872–9), and realized the gigantic proposals of van der Nüll and Siccard von Siccardsburg for the Great Exhibition in Vienna (1873), a huge rectangle with central rotunda and, on both sides, 32 pavilions. He built the Burgtheater, Vienna (1874–8), to Semper's designs, and supervised the Imperial Forum complex after Semper's death, including the grandiose New Hofburg (completed 1913). He also designed the Villa Zang, Neidling (1864), the Lützow Palace (1870), and the Hermesvilla, Lainz (1882–6), all in or near Vienna, and all on cunningly contrived plans, with Renaissance-inspired interior decorations. The interiors of the Kunsthistorisches Museum and of the Burg-theater are by him, and are among the finest of the 1880s in Vienna.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.