A large cave in northern Libya containing the longest and most complete sequence of deposits in North Africa. It was excavated by Charles McBurney between 1951 and 1955, but the lowest levels were never reached. The oldest material recovered was the local Amudian, a pre‐Aurignacian blade industry, stratigraphically sealed by Mousterian levels dated to about 60 000 years ago. Above these were deposits of the Dabban Industry dating to about 40 000 years ago. This in turn was followed by eastern Oranian at 16 000–14 000 years ago and higher still Libyco‐Capsian. Pottery, together with domestic sheep and/or goats, was present by around 5000 bc.
C. B. M. McBurney, 1967, The Haua Fteah (Cyrenaica) and the Stone Age of the southeast Mediterranean. Cambridge: CUP