(b Duchy of Cleves; fl 1573–6). Sculptor and architect of German origin, active in England. He left northern Europe, perhaps as a Protestant refugee, and settled in Cambridge. He did carving on the monument to Dr Caius (1573–5) in the chapel of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and was probably responsible for at least some of its singularly bold ornamental detail. In 1576 he presented to the College a remarkable sundial of his own devising composed of a stone with 60 dials raised on a column (destr.). He also carved and painted the arms of Queens’ College over the entrance to its screens passage (1575).
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.