Related Overviews


'hawsepipe' can also refer to...


More Like This

Show all results sharing these subjects:

  • Warfare and Defence
  • Maritime History


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

The inclined pipe or tube which leads from the hawsehole of a ship to the outside of the vessel. A seaman who reached a position of mate or master, having begun his seagoing career as an ordinary member of the crew, was said to have come up through the hawsepipe.

Subjects: Warfare and Defence — Maritime History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.