The American architects George Lewis Heins (1860–1907) and Christopher Grant La Farge (1862–1938) formed a partnership in 1886. The firm won the competition (1889) to design the Cathedral of St John the Divine in NYC with an entry mixing a round-arched style influenced by the work of H. H. Richardson and Byzantine architecture. From 1911, Cram, Goodhue, & Ferguson took over and transformed the building into a masterpiece of Gothic Revival, the original style having fallen from favour. Heins & La Farge also designed St Matthew's RC Cathedral, Washington, DC (from 1893), the subway stations for the New York Rapid Transit Commission (from 1904), and buildings in the New York Zoological Park (from 1899). La Farge continued to practise after Heins's death, and, with Benjamin Wistar Morris (1870–1944), designed St James's Cathedral, Seattle, WA, and St Patrick's Church, Philadelphia, PA (both from 1915).
Muccigrosso (1980);Placzek (ed.) (1982);Jane Turner (1996);Wickersham (1977);Wodehouse (1976)