Having learned the book trade as an apprentice to Trübner, he opened his own firm at 21 Bedford Street in 1890. Noted for fiction by writers such as R. L. Stevenson, Kipling, and Conrad, the firm also published successful series, including ‘Heinemann’s International Library’, ‘The Great Educators’, and ‘Heinemann Scientific Books’. It was distinguished for Constance Garnett’s translations of Russian writers and for the ‘Loeb Classical Library’, published jointly with Harvard University Press. Heinemann opposed the rise of literary agents and frequently argued with the Society of Authors, but was involved in founding the Publishers Association, serving as president 1909–11. He was also a leading light of the International Congress of Publishers and the Associated Booksellers of Great Britain and Ireland.
From The Oxford Companion to the Book in Oxford Reference.