Castle in Salzburg, Austria. To the south of Salzburg, Archbishop marcus sitticus von Hohenems (reg 1612–19) commissioned santino Solari to build a small castle to be used as a summer palace. Schloss Hellbrunn (1613–19) is a most perfect realization of the Italian villa suburbana and the earliest of its kind north of the Alps. Situated at the end of a long avenue, the building is a cube of classic simplicity, with a bifurcate staircase opening on to a cour d'honneur. The most remarkable interior features are the Festsaal (banqueting hall), set asymmetrically on the west side, and its projecting octagon, with frescoes by Arsenio Mascagni (1579–1636). Hellbrunn's main attraction, however, is its gardens. The Lustgarten or Pleasure Garden was laid out in aquatic parterres to the north of the castle, and furnished with an unusual variety of fountains, ponds, temples and other features including the Roman Theatre, a miniature exedra dominated by a statue of Roma.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.