The see was founded in 676 by Putta, Bp. of Rochester, who had fled from the heathen invaders of his diocese. St Ethelbert, King of the East Angles, was buried in the cathedral and, with the BVM, designated its joint patron. The main part of the present cathedral dates from 1079–1110. In 1786 the west end collapsed, carrying part of the nave with it. The Hereford Mappa Mundi (late 13th cent.) shows the world as a circle with Jerusalem at the centre, the whole lying under a portrayal of the Last Judgement.