Danish architect. A pupil of Bindesbøll and Hetsch, he also studied old brick buildings in Denmark and Renaissance architecture in Northern Italy, amalgamating aspects of both in his designs. It was partly through his influence that brickwork became fashionable for grander C19 Danish buildings, and he was a pioneer in the use of exposed structural cast-iron members. His most celebrated work is the University Library, Copenhagen (1857–61), in a robust brick Rundbogenstil with exposed and elegant ironwork inside. The Main Railway Station, Copenhagen (1863–4), was also fine, but was demolished in 1917. Perhaps his most significant building is the National Bank (1865–70) in which the influence of C15 Florentine Renaissance architecture was strong. In Odense he designed the Town Hall (1881–3—with Carl William Frederik Lendorf (1839–1918). In his many villas and other private houses he was influenced by developments in England, especially the Domestic Revival, and he in turn influenced the following generation, notably Martin Nyrop.
T. Faber (1963);Millech (1951);Rasmussen (1940);Weilbach (1947)