German architect. He trained in Germany and in Paris (with Percier and Fontaine) before settling in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1815, where he worked with C. F. Hansen, whose daughter he married. He designed the RC Church of St Ansgar (1840–1) and the Synagogue (1829–33), both in Copenhagen. He is better known for his work in the applied arts, for he designed furniture, metal-work, ceramics, and published many patterns that proved influential. As a representative of late Classicism, his work was severe and rational, with refined detailing. Among his many pupils was Herholdt.