Hallstatt‐period hillfort of about 3 ha overlooking the River Danube in southern Germany. Extensive excavations directed by Kurt Bittel between 1950 and 1958 and by Egon Gersbach between 1963 and 1979 have revealed that the hilltop had first been occupied in the Bronze Age, but abandoned during the early Iron Age (Hallstatt C). During the 7th century bc it was reoccupied, and from this period (Hallstatt D1) there are five main building phases. In the early 7th century bc the defences comprised a traditional timber‐framed box rampart with a wall of timber back and front. This was replaced around 550 bc by a remarkable defensive system in a distinctively Greek style of construction. A wall was built of mud brick on a limestone foundation, punctuated by projecting bastions to allow cross‐firing against anyone attacking the wall. Inside were rectangular houses of timber construction. This evidence of Greek influence is also reflected in the finds from the second phase, which include Attic black‐figure ware, wine amphorae imported from the Greek colony at Massalia, and coral. There was also extensive evidence for local manufacturing and trade. Throughout its life the Heuneburg seems to have been the seat of power for a local chiefdom, the power and wealth of which depended at least partly on the control of long‐distance trade with the Mediterranean world. About 2 km east of the fort is a rich cemetery at Speckhau, centred on the Hohmichele.
http://www.uwm.edu/~barnold/arch/r_design.html The Landscape of Ancestors project: full information on research within and around this hillfort in southwest Germany.
W. Kimmig, 1983, Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau (2nd edition). Stuttgart: K. Theiss