The principal fleet of the German Navy, 1907–18. It was interned at Scapa Flow after the Armistice of November 1918 which ended the First World War (1914–18). One of the greatest feats of salvage was the raising of most of this fleet after its commander, Admiral Ludwig von Reuter (1869–1943), gave his crews orders to scuttle their ships in June 1919. The fleet comprised eleven battleships, five battlecruisers and eight light cruisers, and 50 destroyers, and 51 of them were scuttled. Most of them were raised by the salvage firm of Cox and Danks with the aid of caissons, and were towed away to be broken up. Of those sunk, all but one was salvaged. See also grand fleet.
Subjects: Maritime History.