(1659–1707), Anglican divine. Having entered Wadham College, Oxford, in 1676, he was elected a Fellow in 1685. In his Contra historiam Aristeae de LXX interpretibus Dissertatio (1684) he proved that the ‘Letter of Aristeas’ was a forgery. His support of the Established Church against the Nonjurors brought him to the notice of Abp. J. Tillotson, who made him his chaplain; and in 1698 he was made Regius professor of Greek at Oxford. His researches into the text of the Septuagint are embodied in his De Bibliorum Textis Originalibus (4 vols., 1703). By his will a number of exhibitions for the study of Hebrew and Greek, which still bear his name, were established at Wadham College.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.