British archaeologist, known to his friends as Bob, well known for his fieldwork and studies of hillforts in the west of Britain. Born in London and educated at Highgate School, he went up in 1927 to Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, where he took a first in civil engineering with part 1 of the maths tripos. His first job was with MacAlpine's as an assistant engineer, but he was sacked soon afterwards. He subsequently worked on the construction of the dry dock at Southampton and the St Albans bypass before moving to the Road Research Laboratory at Oxford. In 1936 he was appointed lecturer in civil engineering at King's College in the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. After service in the Royal Naval Dockyard in Rosyth during WW2 he returned to Cambridge in 1945 and in 1947 took up a lectureship there. Throughout his career since leaving Cambridge he pursued an interest in archaeology, at first studying barrows and burial sites and later hillforts. His interest grew, and in 1949 he applied for and obtained the post of secretary to the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire. Here he stayed for the rest of his working life, establishing high standards of survey and recording.
S. Briggs, 1981, A. H. A. Hogg—an appreciation. In G. Guilbert (ed.), Hillfort studies—essays for A. H. A. Hogg. Leicester: Leicester University Press, 15–18