(Edinburgh). Holyroodhouse stands at the foot of the Canongate in the Old Town of Edinburgh, in the lee of Arthur's Seat. Holyrood abbey was built for Augustinian canons. The palace of Holyroodhouse, the official residence in Scotland of the reigning monarch, was started in the reign of James IV of Scotland and extended by James V. It is set around the four sides of a courtyard, and although the interiors are in an Anglo‐Dutch style, the character of the exteriors is French. After a period of neglect, royalty came back to Holyroodhouse in 1745 in the person of Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie), but it was not until after George IV's visit in 1822 that it was restored.
Subjects: British History.