Austrian architect. A pupil of Holzmeister, he was a founding-member (with Friedrich Kurrent (1931– ), Otto Leitner, and Johannes Spalt (1920– ) of Arbeitsgruppe (Work Group) 4, which promoted ‘constructive functionalism’, supposedly an updating of the theories of Loos. He was partly responsible for the design of the St Joseph Seminary, Salzburg-Aigen (1960–4), where the forms were dictated wholly by the construction, indicating the influence of Wachsmann. He opened his own office in Vienna in 1964, having moved away from Arbeitsgruppe 4 and towards a position influenced by Le Corbusier, as can be seen in his St Virgil School, Salzburg-Aigen (1966–76). His railway-stations for the Vienna underground system (from 1971), carried out with others, are models of clarity. In The Netherlands he designed the De Bijenkorf Department Store, Utrecht (1978–82), and the City Hall and Opera House, Amsterdam (1979–88).
Achleitner et al. (1986);Kalman (1994);Holzbauer (1995)