A farm formerly belonging to Captain M. C. Hopewell near the town of Chillicothe, Ohio, containing an extensive mound complex which gives its name to the middle Woodland Stage Hopewellian Culture. Excavated in the 1890s by W. K. Moorehead, the site was found to comprise a rectangular enclosure covering 45 ha, within which were 38 mounds.
In the central mound was the burial of a tall young man and a young woman. She was buried with thousands of pearl beads, and copper buttons. She wore copper bracelets. Both individuals wore copper ear spools, copper breastplates, and necklaces of grizzly bear teeth. Rather strange was the presence of artificial copper noses. A cremated male buried in Mound 11 may have been a master obsidian worker. A male in Mound 17 was buried with 3000 sheets of mica and 90 kg of galena.
W. K. Moorehead, 1922, The Hopewell mound group of Ohio. Chicago: Field Museum of History