(1776–1856). English eclectic Regency architect, his extensive works at Craven Cottage, Fulham, London (1806—demolished), included an exotically vulgar Egyptian Revival room and a Gothic dining-room. He designed the Gothic conservatory at Carlton House, Pall Mall (1807—demolished 1827–8), in the manner of Henry VII's chapel at Westminster Abbey, but with the cast-iron tracery panels of the bogus fan-vaulting filled with coloured glass: this building deserves greater recognition as a pioneering work of metal-and-glass construction. Thereafter he had a successful practice as a country-house architect, designing fluently in a great number of styles: (he insisted it was the architect's business to ‘understand all styles, and to be prejudiced in favour of none’): the buildings include Leigh Court, near Bristol, Som. (1814—Greek Ionic), Gosford Castle, Co. Armagh (1819–21—Romanesque Revival), Penrhyn Castle, Caernarfonshire (c. 1819–c.1844—again Romanesque Revival), Margam Abbey, Glamorgan (1830–5—Tudor Gothic), Wivenhoe Park, Essex (1846–9—Jacobethan), and Amesbury House, Wilts. (1834–40—Palladian). Among his other works may be mentioned The County Gaol, Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex (1819–26 and 1845–8—with a massive and sombre Tuscan Order); the Carlton Club, 69–70 St James's Street, London (1826–7—in a Palladian manner); the Church of St John the Baptist, Southend, Essex (1841–2—Gothic Revival); and the Church of St Thomas, Butterton, Staffs. (1844–5—substantial Neo-Norman).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.