(1800–61). English architect. With John Jenkins (d. 1844) he published A Selection of Architectural and Other Ornaments, Greek, Roman, and Italian (1827). In 1834 he became Engineer to the Birmingham, Bristol, and Thames Junction Railway Company, and in 1840 he was appointed Professor at King's College, London. He published The Principles and Practice of Architecture (1842) and (with J. Hann) The Theory, Practice, and Architecture of Bridges (1843), which became the standard work. He also issued publications connected with building regulations in towns. He is best remembered as the architect of Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington, London (1839–43), for which Joseph Bonomi was brought in as the consultant for the Egyptian Revival entrance-gates and lodges. Conceived as an arboretum as well as a cemetery, Abney Park had an educational agenda, and its scheme of planting was influenced by Loudon. In 1849 he proposed filling in the quadrangle of the British Museum with a circular Pantheon-like building (published 1850), which may have prompted the realized circular reading-room (1854–7) by S. Smirke.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.