Related Overviews


'hullock' can also refer to...

Sir John Hullock (1767—1829) judge


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Maritime History


Quick Reference

An old maritime term for a small piece of a sail hoisted in heavy weather when it is impossible to spread more because of the strength of the wind. The term referred only to two sails, either the mizzen course, when a hullock was loosed at the mizzen yardarm to keep the ship's bow to the sea, or the foresail, to lay its head the other way. The correct nautical term used with hullock was to loose, as in ‘let loose a hullock’.

Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries