[Ger. Eisenburg; Hung. Vajdahunyad, Vajda-Hunyad].
Castle overlooking the mining town of Hunedoara in south-west Transylvania, Romania, c. 130 km south-west of Cluj-Napoca. The earliest documentary evidence of the comitat of Hunyad is from 1276, and its earliest known ispan (administrator) is mentioned in 1295; the first castle also dates from the second half of the 13th century, but little remains of this period, although its original plan was established by István Möller, who restored the castle in the early 20th century. As usual in Hungary at that period, it ran along the edge of a long cliff.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.