Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

An instrument for measuring the density or relative density of liquids. It usually consists of a glass tube with a long bulb at one end. The bulb is weighted so that the device floats vertically in the liquid, the relative density being read off its calibrated stem by the depth of immersion.

Subjects: Chemistry.

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.