'hygroscope' can also refer to...


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Meteorology and Climatology


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A device for giving an indication of whether the air is dry or damp, which forms the basis for simple weather predictors. The indicator may be a change in colour of hygroscopic material or the variations in torsion of a substance such as catgut, the latter being used in weather houses to cause the appropriate figure to appear.

Subjects: Meteorology and Climatology.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.