[Heb., clapper of a bell]
The National Ballet and Dance Theatre of Israel, founded by Sara Levi-Tanai in 1949. Its aim was originally to preserve Yemenite songs and dances, with The Yemenite Wedding as one of Levi-Tanai's most popular productions, but later elements from other folk traditions were incorporated. It made its London debut in 1957 and New York in 1958. In 1992 Levi-Tanai was retired from the company and replaced by Rena Sharett, then in 1994 by Margalit Oved. In 1996 the company's status changed to that of a multicultural folk arts centre, which has subsequently presented reconstructions of Levi-Tanai works.