English master-mason active in Oxford. He oversaw the building of Canterbury Quadrangle, St John's College (from 1634). The unusual south porch at the Church of St Mary the Virgin (1637), with Solomonic columns and other Baroque effects curiously co-existing with the Perpendicular Gothic fan-vaulting of the ceiling, is a tour-de-force, and is known to have been built by him, although the name of Nicholas Stone has also been associated with the design. He was consulted about the tower and gateway of University College (1635–6), and superintended the building of the new Chapel and Library of Brasenose College (1656–66), where late-Gothic and Renaissance elements are again mixed with great élan. He may have designed Welford Park, Berks. (c.1660—later remodelled).