(1803–84) Bp. of Chester. After being brought up a Nonconformist, he was elected a scholar of Lincoln College, Oxford, in 1825 and held various other appointments in Oxford, until he became Regius Professor of Divinity in 1848. In 1865 he was appointed Bp. of Chester. One of the more learned patristic scholars of his day, he issued a scholarly edition of the Apostolic Fathers (2 vols., 1838, and later edns.) based on a study of the MSS, in which against W. Cureton he upheld the genuineness of the now generally acknowledged seven Epistles of St Ignatius. He also published an edition of the writings of R. Sanderson, Bp. of Lincoln (6 vols., 1854). Theologically, from his undergraduate days onwards, he was an old-fashioned High Churchman.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.