German archaeologist and scholar specializing in Celtic art. Born and brought up in Berlin, educated at Luisenstädtisches Gymnasium and at the Universities of Berlin, Göttingen, and Bonn. He was appointed to a lectureship in Göttingen University in 1908, and in 1912 he was made Professor of Classical Archaeology in Marburg University. Forced to leave Germany in 1935, he found a home in Britain and was appointed Reader in Celtic Archaeology in the University of Oxford.
Revue Archéologique, 1958 (Tome II), 103–4