Polish archaeologist and leading prehistorian. Born in Silesia, he was educated at Poznanń University between 1926 and 1930, attaining his doctorate in 1935. He held various academic posts in Poznanń and Warsaw, and in 1939 was nominated to the Chair in Prehistory at Wilna University but was prevented from taking it up because of the outbreak of war. After WW2 he served as Director of the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography in Łódź, where he stayed until his retirement in 1979. Simultaneously he was associate professor and in 1959 full professor at Łódź University. During this time he excavated a number of important sites, including Brześć Kujawski and Łeg Piekarski. He was elected an Honorary Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in March 1976.
Antiquaries Journal, 66 (1986), 499