Town in southern Bohemia, on the River Nezárka. Early settlers included the military orders (Templars and German knights) in the early 13th century, succeeded by the Minorites in the 14th century. A Franciscan monastery and church were built in 1476 and a Jesuit seminary, now the local museum, in 1594. The town's fortifications date from the late 13th century and the 15th century. From c. 1200–1600 the town enjoyed a period of great prosperity. Hradec's stock of historic houses has been badly depleted by a series of fires, the worst of which occurred in 1801. However a number of Gothic and Renaissance examples survive, some modified in the Baroque and Neo-classical periods.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.