(1868–1952). Scots architect, he worked with Burnet, Son, & Campbell in Glasgow, and then (1889) in Rowand Anderson's office in Edinburgh. In 1893 he joined the progressive office of Sir Ernest George, but left to work with Belcher in 1896, becoming the latter's partner (1905–13). One of the most distinguished buildings of the partnership was the Royal Insurance Office at the corner of Piccadilly and St James's Street, London (1907–9), a robust essay in C20 Mannerism. Other Joass/Belcher buildings included the former Mappin & Webb Building, Oxford Street, London (1906–8), and the opulent Wrenaissance Ashton Memorial, Williamson Park, Lancaster (1907–9).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.