(fl 1490). Hungarian friar and architect. He was head of a Late Gothic workshop in Transylvania, where he was sent by King Matthias corvinus on 18 Jan 1490 to take charge of building the Minorite house founded by the King at his birthplace, Cluj-Napoca (Ger. Klausenburg; Hung. Kolozsvár). Known as Frater Johannes, he was presumably a Franciscan. Johannes's workshop is perhaps the most clearly identifiable building organization in Hungary. It demonstrates how the mendicant orders persisted with traditional building methods after Renaissance styles had become fashionable in the royal court of Buda.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.