English architect. He established his practice in Bridlington, Yorks., in 1934, specializing in scholarly restorations of C18 buildings. Notable successes included Fairfax House, Castlegate, York, by John Carr (1975–80), and the Long Gallery, Burton Agnes, Yorks. (1975). He carried out important works at York and Howden Minsters, Belton House, Lincs., and Heath Hall, Wakefield, during his long career, and built new houses, including several in Yorks., and Strathconan, Muir of Ord, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland (1980s). He designed the Church of St Margaret, Hilston, Yorkshire (1956–7), in a style reminiscent of the Free Romanesque of Scandinavia. He had an unrivalled knowledge of C18 architectural pattern-books.
Powers (1987);Robinson &Neave(2001);The Times, (13 Oct. 1995)