Minor British Georgian architect remembered for one outstanding building, the Rotunda in Ranelagh Gardens, Chelsea, London (1742, demolished 1805). It was a large circular structure with a very pretty, light galleried interior, really a glorified concert-hall and place for drinking tea, and its design showed rare originality for the period. He published designs for doors, gateways, and other architectural elements in 1739. Much of his built work has also been demolished, although Alresford House, Hants. (1749–51), survives.