Launched in 1932, when the English Folk Dance and Song Society was formed, by the amalgamation of the Folk-Song Society and the English Folk Dance Society, and thus replacing the journals of these two societies. It ran until December 1964 (vol. 9 no. 5), when it in turn was replaced by the Folk Music Journal. Its content was mainly descriptive, comparative, and historical, rather than theoretical, but many of its articles are still required reading. Editors: Frank Howes (1932–45), Margaret Dean-Smith (1946–51), Sara Jackson (1952–60), Russell Wortley (1961–4).