Overview

William Joy

(fl. 1329—1347)


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(fl. 1329–47).

English mason. He was appointed Master-Mason at Wells Cathedral, Som., in 1329, where he appears to have been responsible for the substantial building-works at the eastern arm of the church, including the refashioning of the First Pointed choir, the building of the presbytery and new vaults, the retrochoir, pulpitum, and the celebrated strainer-arches of the crossing-tower. He also carried out works at the gate-houses and wards of the Close at Wells in the 1340s, and may have designed the works at the Collegiate Church at Ottery St Mary, Devon (1337–45). Joy's work has affinity with aspects of St Augustine's Abbey, Bristol (now the Cathedral), and indeed he probably came from that area.

J. Harvey (1987)

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.