Kåge trained as a painter in Gothenburg, Stockholm (1908–9), and Copenhagen (1911–12) before attending the Plakatschule in Munich in 1914. He worked as a poster designer before joining the Gustavsberg ceramics factory as art director in 1917, a position he held until 1949. He designed the earthenware Blue Lily service for the Home Exhibition, Stockholm, in 1917, an exhibition promoting well‐designed interiors and products for working‐class families. In the 1920s he worked on more exclusive pieces, including an almost neoclassical bowl for the 1925 Paris Exposition des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels, which was awarded a Grand Prix. The Stockholm Exhibition of 1930 saw the emergence of a far more modern, functional aesthetic, one to which Kåge contributed through his austere designs for the Praktika range which went into production in 1933. Like his earlier Blue Lily design, Praktika was not successful with the public, in contrast to the gentler, decorated Pyro service that proved a great commercial success. In the 1940s Kåge continued to design mass‐produced tableware alongside artistic ceramic pieces. After being replaced by Stig Lindberg as art director in 1949 he produced designs for the company until his death.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.