Principal church of Kalkar, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. The town was granted its first charter in 1230 by Dietrich V of Cleves (reg 1202–60), and in the Middle Ages it was a Hanseatic town. St Nikolai contains an important collection of late medieval carved wooden altarpieces. The survival of nearly half the original 15 gave rise to a theory of a ‘Kalkar school’ of wood-carving, but this has been disproved.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.